Becoming a member
Officers and Directors
American Philatelic Society
United States Stamp Society
Linn's Stamp News
APNSS membership is open to anyone interested in the collecting and
study of US plate number singles. Junior membership is open to
responsible minors with the approval of their parent or guardian.
To request a membership packet, email the Secretary (or send to apnss.sec at gmail dot com) or mail your
request to Rick Burdsall, APNSS Secretary, P.O. Box 1023, Palatine, IL
Dues are $10 per year in US and Canada, or $18 for two years.
Electronic delivery (by email) is available and encouraged to hold down society expenses. Dues for members in other countries, $10 per year by electronic delivery. Life membership is
$125 if over age 60 at conversion, or $150 if under age 60.
Dues can be mailed to the Secretary at P.O.
Box 1023, Palatine, IL 60078-1023. Make checks payable to
APNSS. Payment may also be made in mint U.S. plate number singles in any denomination at
Member Address Changes
To change or correct your address, email the Secretary (or send to apnss.sec at gmail dot com) with your new address details.
For seasonal or temporary address
changes, be sure to mention the effective dates.
Jim Ragsdale, Arizona
Director: Bruce Wilson, Idaho
Editor: Rick Burdsall, Illinois
Auction Director: Jim Ragsdale, Arizona
Librarian and Historian:
Open, contact the Secretary if interested
ZIP, Mail Early, Copyright: Rick Burdsall, Illinois
Estate Planning Consultant: Open - contact the Secretary if interested
2017, 2011 and 2007 Editions: Rick Burdsall,
APNSS is strictly a nonprofit
organization. It has no full-time paid staff. The members and
officers who produce Plate Numbers and the Hebert's Catalog,
prepare and fulfill
the regular auction, recruit new members and keep the web site updated
receive no compensation except the satisfaction of working for a
APNSS is always interested in new members.
For publicity and recruitment:
- We frequently have booths at APS shows --
such as at Milwaukee in 2013, Riverside in February 2007, Chicago in
August 2006, Grand Rapids in August 2005, and Sacramento
in August 2004. We are always looking for volunteer members to help
with a booth at a local or regional show.
- Members distribute our APNSS application form
at the entrance table of many local shows
- COMPEX '16, Itasca, IL -
- CHICAGOPEX '16, Arlington Heights IL -
- COMPEX '15, Itasca, IL -
- CHICAGOPEX '15, Arlington Heights IL -
- COMPEX '14, Itasca, IL -
- CHICAGOPEX '14, Arlington Heights IL -
- COMPEX '13, Itasca, IL -
- CHICAGOPEX '13, Arlington Heights IL -
- COMPEX '12, Itasca, IL -
- CHICAGOPEX '12, Arlington Heights IL -
- COMPEX '11, Itasca, IL -
- CHICAGOPEX '11, Arlington Heights IL -
- COMPEX '10, Itasca, IL -
- CHICAGOPEX '10, Arlington Heights IL -
- COMPEX '10, Itasca, IL -
- CHICAGOPEX '09, Arlington Heights IL -
- CHICAGOPEX '08, Arlington Heights IL -
- CHICAGOPEX '07, Arlington Heights IL -
- CHICAGOPEX '06, Arlington Heights IL -
- Fort Hays Stamp Show, Hays KS - October
- Glenexpo, Niles IL - 2004; Glen Ellyn IL - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015
- Midwest Stamp Dealers show, Oakbrook IL - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- SUPEX (Suburban Collectors of Chicago)
show, Countryside IL - November 2006
- Local show in Prospect Heights IL - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Local show in Buffalo, 2005
- Local show in New
- Many new members find us through this web
- There are links to the APNSS web site
from APS, USSS, PNC3, and a number of other philatelic web sites
- In March 2007, we supplanted entries for
the Analog Private Network Signaling System and now occupy the top
several "hits" in searches for "APNSS" in Google. As of March 2014, we remain the top search hit. As of June 2016, we occupied the top three search hits, plus the primary spot in the dictionary of abbreviations.
- We were featured in the "Affiliates"
column of the February 2004 issue of American Philatelist and
had an ad in the October 2004 issue
- We were featured in the "Glassine Surfer"
column of the June 2005 issue of American Philatelist
- APNSS and Hebert's Catalogue of Plate
Number Singles were both mentioned in an article on stamp collecting
formats by Rick Miller, which appeared in the Nov. 14, 2005 issue of
Linn's Stamp News (page 36)
- Regular ads in philatelic publications
- We frequently advertise in the Philatelic
Societies section of Linn's Stamp News and Stamps
- We place frequent membership notices and
classified ads in
the USSS's monthly journal The United States Specialist
- APNSS is included in a listing of
specialist societies in the November 2004 U.S. Stamp News
- APNSS is listed in the Encyclopedia of
- Individual members include APNSS
membership information when buying or selling plate number single lots
on eBay, BidStart and other internet auctions
- Several libraries are members and receive
copies of Plate Numbers, including the
Library of Congress
in Washington, DC; the
American Philatelic Research Library
in Bellefonte, PA; and the
Postal History Foundation
in Tucson, AZ
Our steadiest and most popular recruitment
method is direct referrals of philatelic friends by current APNSS members.
To request some blank application forms, or to request a membership packet
for yourself or to be sent to a prospective member, write or email the Secretary (apnss.sec at gmail dot com).
One of the significant benefits of APNSS
membership is the mail auction. Selected issues of Plate Numbers
include a mail auction of 100-200 lots of plate number singles,
as well as plate blocks and other marginal markings. Prices realized
are published in the following issue of Plate Numbers.
See the Auction page for more details.
Call for Lost Members
occasionally lose track of a member, most often because a post office box
is closed and no forwarding address is given, or the forwarding expires.
If you are listed below, or have a new address or email address for a
member listed below, please contact the Secretary at
Sam Wilkinson LM#1 formerly of Dallas, TX - found!
#518 formerly of Naples, FL - found!
Larry Hale #572 formerly
William Loeffler #578 found! And welcome back.
- Robert Meeker #433 formerly of
- Jay Dennis of Perrysburg, OH
- Damon Smith formerly of Baltimore, MD
Chronology of APNSS history
Comments? Suggestions? Email the
This page last updated
April 15, 2017.
Web site content Copyright
American Plate Number Single Society. All rights reserved.